Friday 21 October 2016

POST #7 - STOP MOTION ANIMATION [PRACTICE]

Hello all!

So this post is about our experimentation with stop-motion animation, which was something I quite liked... particularly because I enjoy animating.

So we came in yesterday (12th of October, 2016), and were told to just start making stuff with tubs of Play-Doh and Plasticine.



The models we made were then used for a form of animation called Stop-Motion, which involves having a model be in camera view, taking a picture, and then moving the model slightly, taking another picture, etc. Then, when all the pictures are played in rapid succession (at around 24 FPS, or Frames Per Second), the model/s appear to be moving. This style is used for many successful films, such as the Wallace and Gromit series.




The style also has a large online presence, due to how easy it is to make and access materials for. They're usually done with Plasticine models or LEGO Minifigures.


We used the school's camcorders, which have a mode for taking pictures, and started animating.

I decided to make a river as the setting for my animation, since I was able to do quite a bit with it.
I then created some more models; two of a man (one fully formed and one flat), an orange shark, a fish and a splash.

Then, I started to animate. As a confident animator, I managed to make it in a way I was comfortable with.

When I had my (around) 464 frames running one after the other at 24 Frames Per Second, my animation lasted 11 seconds.

The light plot was:
- A man appears on the side of a river
- He crouches down to look in the river
- A fish splashes up out of the water and then back in
- The man is intrigued by the fish
- He decides to do a really cool high dive into the water
- The water is still for a second...
- SHARK
- A shark bursts through the water, with the guy in his mouth
- The shark then goes back underwater
- An arm floats down the river, then sinks

And here it is!


I think if I was to do it again, I'd try and make it longer and make the scenes easier to understand, and a bit slower.

See you later!
~ Noah C :D

No comments:

Post a Comment